Wednesday, July 25, 2012

SINISTRA



When I and my symmetric brother
were born it could not be said
who would dominate
or be preferred though custom
meant that he would be
the one to shake
and with time we learned
that he would write
open doors
hold the bow
play the major note.

I had an alien role:
clumsy, I had no right
to take the lead
or cut the steak,
or make the model boats
or brush the teeth.
The best that I could do
was squeeze the paste
hold the fork
lift the case
perhaps share
a wash with him together
and then with face.

I had my place
at the piano, true,
to add the bass
to his excursive treble
to help with typing
but not with pleasuring
either the body of my owner
or that of another –
well, sometimes perhaps
but with a lot of trouble …

But when the right was damaged
my lack of education
was reformed. 
Suddenly I was taught
to shave,
to guide the penis as it peed,
cut as well as hold the steak
scribble crumpled messages
with pens,
compute.

Once over, I took back
my old dysgraphic role
a slave to all that’s right.
No voice,
today I have no choice
but to live on handouts
and the occasional leftover.


No comments:

Post a Comment