Thursday, October 4, 2012

THE STROKE OF ONE


2011 Nobel Laureate Tomas Tranströmer - 1990



I woke that spring morning
happy to hear birdsong
but disconcerted:
the long shadow of a headache
stretched as far as I could see.
Beyond the woods
beyond words
a wintry sun was setting.

These dissonant things –
spring and winter,
sunrise and sunset,
song and pain –
were omens of cold chaos.
In a flash my spirit
was caught like a fish in a net,
my flesh pulled and spun
through an unfamiliar deep.
.
I awoke three days later –
Jonah on an alien shore –
unable to speak:
half my body was an exhausted traveller
heaving the other half,
an inert brother,
over one shoulder
searching for a door
among splintered forests
polluted streams and rivers
in the war-torn country
of my mind.

In weeks scarce words
returned in a haiku, thus:

So my thoughts struggle.
My ideas suffocate
my Hiroshima.

Then, sufficient for a short paragraph of prose,
after months, staccato conversation,
two years and the piano,
left hand only.
Sonatinas, ostinati.
My dear, dear Fibich and Mompou

I fear this resurrection of the body:
raised in the image
of a left-sided hemi-god.
‘For in the twinkling of an eye
we shall all be changed…’
and I was.


                  ………………


Three weeks after my event
Sravanthi, a young poet
studying with me,
brought me a stone
the size of a pigeon’s egg –
polished, heavy, ferrous –
a fragment of a meteorite:
uncurling my fingers
she nestled it in my palm.

‘As your hand warms it,’ Sravanthi said,
‘at the stroke of one each day
for two hours its power will flow
along your meridians to your soul.’
A word was inscribed
upon it in Sanskrit:
Akhandawhole.

When later I could feel
and roll Sravanthi’s gift
images came to me –
of summer sunlight filtered
through tall trees,
green pastures,
Manhattan sky-scapes
and grand canyons of its avenues:
I hesitated beside still waters.

With time I learned the lavish comfort
of the soul for mind and body.
As my soul healed I found
it shared its strength
to urge me back
and haltingly I followed.







No comments:

Post a Comment