Monday, May 23, 2016

THREE SISTERS

The mist was light on the Blue Mountains
in September ’87.
My Dad and I stayed in Katoomba
at the Cecil, its glory reduced  
to creaking stairs and the smell of dust.

He spoke of back pain
and on the short walk
from the Three Sisters to Echo Point,
his unusual puffing and stopping
made me fear
something  seriously wrong.

He died next year at 78. 
Sixteen years later
Florence, his oldest sister, hung on,
blind and emphysematous until
I returned from New York.
In three days she yielded up her spirit.
She had cared for their father,
a minister from England, until his death.
She preached his sermons
when he no longer could.

Then Marjorie in Melbourne, even more devout,
left a manifesto about her anticipation
of heaven, and Janet, bereft by Marjorie’s death,
refused surgery for an obstructed bowel.

At night with visitors at the lookout
at Echo Point, tourists gone,
I see the three sandstone sisters,
ghosts of my aunts illuminated
by the propositions of their faith.

I wonder if in the abyss
that separates their time from mine
truth will one day be found.


No comments:

Post a Comment