Friday, June 1, 2018

Obstruction



Tell me, doctor, what to do
for blockage in the tubes
that nourish and remove waste
from the gut-loop
that creates and excretes
poetry.

There’s something wrong this week:
I write no rhymes:
all that I scribble is captive
to the laws of prose.
Has an important digestive enzyme
gone missing?

Or is this a case of literary gall-stones
at pains to stop the flow of bile?
(How can you write poetry without bile?)
Or appendicitis?
(I meant no offence with the parenthetic ode,
or the semi-colon.)

Google-Doc suggests a dose of Joyce
or tincture of Eliot. But you’re the expert
so tell me what to try. 
Maybe IV enthusiasm:
the Royal Wedding has drained me
(especially the sermon) so fluids? Yes, OK.

But what’s that you say?
“More sleep.” 
I waste so much time on sleep –
and then there are the dreams.
You are a hopeless romantic to suggest that
“Poems are made of such things.”

No comments:

Post a Comment