Monday, July 13, 2015

TO BOLDLY GLOW



Orange fluoro underpants hung
on a hook in the gym change room.
The waistband read Tradie –
others further up the food chain    
would boast Calvin Kleins, Bonds
or Chinese Armani lookalikes.
 
What kind of guy inhabits
these, I wondered
as the waist was narrow
unlike mine –
a plumber or mechanic.
in the gym working off 
an ache after last night's
celebration of whatever?
 
He sauntered in while I was showering:
I recognized him as the guy
on the bike beside mine
who was mopping up water
when I arrived so I asked him
if he'd any sweat left?
He’d dropped his water bottle,
he said and laughed –
maybe five years younger,
a whippet who pedalled
five times faster and further. 
 
Maybe he built racing bikes
by day and rode them, rejoicing,
on the road and in the sky at night,
nine-tenths naked
so
his fluoro underpants would show. 

No comments:

Post a Comment