Sunday, May 4, 2014

AN OBSERVATORY REVIEWS PIER PILINGS IN CASCO BAY



The Portland Observatory was built in 1807 to ‘view the bay's horizon to hearken the arrival of ships in order to call workers to the docks to unload supplies and operate fish processing plants’.

Pilings:
Present ARMS.
Oh: I see you have no arms
military or muscular -
excuse my mordant humour: limbs
lost in the tempest of ‘12
or ‘28 or the fire
of ’40?  Perhaps
I overestimate your age.

At EASE:
We’ve both known decay:
I may outlast you
but eventually my feet of stone
will survive no better than
yours of Appalachian lumber.
Mark me: we will all fall
impotent in the final storm.

ENOUGH:
We do not talk much, you and I.
I suppose it’s our preoccupation
with our survival as we age.
But we belong together
in common time and place.
Yes. That we converse
at all is a satisfactory miracle.



No comments:

Post a Comment