Sunday, May 4, 2014

BLESSING


After a scene in Gilead, a novel by Marilynne Robinson
                                       



I was walking from my neighbour's farm

one early autumn afternoon – 
practising mindfulness –  
and I turned in hope

that a retrospective glance
might show me a detail,
a fresh fragment 

of meaning for my journey.

The road was cool and clean:
behind me in the distance
were two young lovers.
The man turned, smiled
and pulled a branch
that overhung the road
and as his partner walked beneath
he let it go and so it sprang,
chilling her with remnant droplets

of the morning rain. 

Her shower was a baptismal blessing.

I had set out searching
for a renewed appointment
for my soul and found
in their liveliness,
in the happiness of her face,
refreshment, grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment