Sunday, May 4, 2014

NIGHT WATCH




0230 MYT* March 8th 2014
Something’s wrong:
we should be heading north
but by my reckoning we’re south-west.
I have a good sense of direction
from my years of sailing.
For an hour we’ve seen no lights of land:
the cabin staff have disappeared.

0430
Our direction has not changed
for the past two hours.
Passengers are restless,
hungry, thirsty;
no news from the cockpit:
are we on autopilot?

0530
I think a silent catastrophe
has overtaken us. 
I’m writing these thoughts
on my phone, and soon
I’ll seal it
in a strong container
I carry on flights
for fear.

0630
I wandered
towards the cockpit:
agitation is growing.
Knocking on the cockpit door
elicits no response:
it’s like the chest of a man
whose heart has stopped.

0700 MYT
I fear for the children:
their parents try to reassure them
but there’s a limit to stories,
an end to lies.

0800 MYT
Sunrise. I hope against hope
that my calculation’s wrong:
we will soon be out of fuel
thousands of miles from land.

0817 MYT
I’ll finish now and seal my phone –
my personal black box –
I am frightened now.


*Malaysian time

No comments:

Post a Comment