Sunday, November 6, 2011

CARDINALS


CARDINAL SIN










I had come from Illinois
to charm and not annoy
on very special business
from his holy papal eminence
to tell our Mainestream flock –
all those of solid stock –
that spring had truly come
but it seems the call was bum
for the sunshine’s turned to snow
and my rochet, you should know,
that matches all this white
I left at home last night.
Wearing red was right I thought –
given spring I really ought!
Cassock and biretta
felt significantly better.
and to add a little show
a touch of zucchetto
But God has a happy play
changing weather every day.
We do not know His plan
but an environmental scan
shows I’m conspicuous in red!
Must wing it on my way
lest a predator, let us say
or a creditor, comes along
and unaware of cardinal sin
eats me, there and then!


It took me many winters
of hard work, bent knees,
prayer and supplication
on stone steps,
of minding the sheep,
conducting myself
with circumspection,
a priest among fellows
not all blessed
with the absence of jealousy,
writing acceptable material
for papal endorsement
and publication,
of imperceptibly growing older -
before I became a cardinal.

Thus this had been my ambition.
But when the day came
for my ordination
I wondered if what
was left of me
to take the vows
was me.

No comments:

Post a Comment