Friday, November 4, 2011

ENCOUNTER IN MANHATTAN


Before




Our paths crossed in Central Park
one cold evening in Lent.
His hug was anxious and as tight as angina,
his dark eyes scanning my face
fearful of all available answers –
hands strong – but moist –
worried that he’d got it wrong
knowing three weeks and he’d be dead
not via the sterile needle as for Timothy McVeigh –
early morning clean-draped gurney
watched-by-victims’-relatives-on-camera-in-the-ceiling stuff 
but via crucis: hanging hammering nail-stabbing
dehydrating shoulder-dislocating
top-of-the-hill-watched-by-crowds stuff
‘Surely not in the U.S.!’ he said.
‘Oh yes!’ I said, reminding him
of the fearful nature of reality.


He had resisted, he told me,
alone in the desert
the temptation to prove –
jump from a pinnacle, turn stones to bread:
maybe a mistake not to have done so.
Now he wondered if
his feeding of thousands, his raising of the dead,
his cleansing of lepers, his mud-pasting blind eyes,
his chasing demons from the mad,
his stopping an issue of female blood
were simply fantastic tricks – him as secular magician –
like those of soothsayers who competed with Moses
in Pharaoh’s court, seeking to convince him
he need not let our people go.
‘How can I be sure this path is right?’
he asked, more of himself, of the darkness, of the trees,
of the night than of me. ‘You can’t.’ I said,

‘Yours is a path of faith and that’s the risk:
there’s no proof. You can only wait
and see how things work out.’
‘But I’ll be dead!’
He knew and I knew that it was true.
‘What can I do to help?’ I asked,
(always a good question I found
to put to patients in my practice facing
the conquering cavalry of cancer or loss of breath).
‘Pray for me,’ he said,
‘that I’ll be strong enough
to see it through.’

‘I will.’ I said.
‘So much depends on you.’

After





Each Easter Day
I stand behind the battlements
of Belvedere Castle in Central Park
to watch the sun rise,
to watch it rise across the lake
to make the best
of whatever weather greets it – clear sky
or remnant winter clouds,
the touch of rain, even snow.

On Friday riots of the lost
rent Wall Street’s curtain
from the top:
the mayhem of financial ruin
was everywhere – 
tear gas, fire, troops and bullets –
and one especially hideous execution
performed by today’s authorities
high up for all to see.
.
It was him.
I picked him by his eyes;
he looked cold.
 ‘Was it as bad as you feared?’ I asked.
‘Worse,’ he said. ‘Thousands died.’

I passed him coffee, bagels, lox –
touched his hands
and saw where nails were torn
from four fingers.
Looking towards the lake, he shivered.
‘I could not save them,’ he said.
‘Here, have this rug,’ I said
cladding his shoulders 
he looked like a man freed from
a concentration camp –
but it did the job. 

‘You’ll need time to find your inner warmth 
and then?’ I asked.
‘We can only wait and see how things turn out,’
he smiled, replaying without irony
what I’d said to him three weeks before
when our paths crossed one evening in Lent.

 ‘And you?’ he asked, touching the crease of my face
where my tears usually run.


070409


No comments:

Post a Comment