Friday, November 4, 2011

THE INQUIRY



Joseph of Arimathea was a member of the Sanhedrin who met Jesus on several occasions.  He was, by repute, a wealthy trader in tin. He sought and obtained the body of Jesus after his crucifixion and buried it in his own tomb.


Sanhedrin v. Arimathea J

Sanhedrin

Joseph of Arimathea, let us consider
this an informal meeting of the presidium,
an exploration among friends of the facts,
exigencies and possible mitigations of the events
surrounding the management and disappearance
of the Galilean’s body and the subsequent breach
in our relations with Rome. 
Caiaphas and other senior members
are otherwise engaged in Sanhedrin
business but you will know, Joseph,
that their interest in this matter is far from slight
and so the discussions – we trust you do not mind –
will be inscribed.
The Temple is under threat.

We knew, of course, Joseph, as you would guess
from our sources of intelligence of your meetings
in the evening with the Galilean
these past two years. Your generous contributions
to the work of the Sanhedrin, your high standing
as a man of business – trading tin
at great profit with the stupid British,
I understand! – naturally made us reluctant
to take these reports too seriously and indeed
your membership of the Sanhedrin…
But the events following the execution of the blasphemer
– how can I put this delicately –
place us in a very awkward position.

Although our preference would have been
to leave the Galilean’s body to the vultures
and snatchers, your interference with this plan
is not our principal concern today.
But in passing let me say our displeasures are not
confined to your approach to Pilate and your
purchase of the body for a high price, we gather
from reliable sources in the palace,
and while your personal participation in its
retrieval, wrapping it in fine cloth despite its brokenness
and anointing it with myrrh and other spices
has, we would have you know, offended many
of us, committed as we are to the
virtues of ritual cleanliness, there is of course
the unhappy possibility that a portion
of your actions took place on the Sabbath.

But our most serious distress in this matter
is the disappearance of the body from the grave
that you provided in your garden. It is claimed this
occurred sometime either on the Sabbath or in the night
before dawn on the first day of the week
when the tomb you provided was found to be empty.
Several of our number believe that you
arranged this disappearance to foster
the claims of his rabble that the Galilean
had come back to life!  This nonsense would be
easily put to rest if, assuming you were in some way complicit,
you were now to indicate where the body is located.

We understand that the body may have been transported
to your home town of Ramala and so inquired
of our friends and contacts there about graves dug
in recent days. We have not ruled out a burial at sea
by loyal crew on one of your trading ships,
but perhaps we are on the wrong track entirely
and others have somehow spirited him away.
I reiterate: Rome is not impressed and the expedient execution
for which we advocated has not produced the peace
that Pilate wanted, calling our credibility into question
and worrying his superiors in Rome about unrest
that could lead to dire punishment
and worse - devastation of the Temple.

How say you, Joseph?


Joseph

My Sanhedrin colleagues, it is true that I spoke
on many occasions with the Galilean, finding his rough logic
and compassion disturbing but magnetic.
My success in business, and my participation with you
in observing the letter of the law have left me restless, seeking answers
to questions about the human condition, about who or what God is
and what he expects and gives.  I have read the prophets and the law
and while I respect your details, they skid across the top of my concerns,
ships skipping over wild waves in a storm, oblivious to rocks or other dangers.

I observed his dealing with ordinary people, untouched and untouchable
according to our views, people we ask to simply follow rules.
He would speak with them, eat and drink with them, touch their leprous sores,
restore their sight, send demons howling in search of alternate lodging,
speaking of God in riddles and paradoxes, proclaiming perpetual Jubilee and forgiveness without penance, raising dead children to life. It is no wonder
people invested him with properties of the long awaited messiah.
Let me be clear: to this day I do not know who or what he was and
claims that he was king of the Jews I find ridiculous.  Even his bizarre
parody of riding into Jerusalem on a donkey struck me as an act of farce.

Son of man he called himself – hardly a unique title –
but there was a wildness in his love, a breath in his proclamations. 
his parables and stories, issuing challenges,
living nowhere, fishing in boats. I confess I came to love him,
at a distance, in my doubt, my scepticism,
loved his approach to God, his outrageous authority by which
he declared sins forgiven, his laughter, his loneliness and secrecy
in prayer that I saw one evening when I took him by surprise.

Where his body went after I entombed it I simply do not know.
You have the wrong man if you think I can help. Someone took it
or a miracle occurred - I cannot say. 
I have no regrets.
I have had no contact with his friends. 
He has not ‘appeared to me’:
I shall go on seeking, though,
for the truth
does not lie here.




No comments:

Post a Comment