Friday, November 4, 2011

FLAGFALL





She sits in black,
black shirt,
skirt and shoes,
tears spent, rehearsing,
weighing the folded sheet
chosen for its size and weight
to feel like the flag,
folded into a dozen
triangles, she will bear,
as the ground
opens its mouth.
Insurgency had become
more selective and secretive,
he’d said – more snipers,
suicide bombers – you
could no longer tell.


“I must be brave, as he was
when at ten he fell,
broke his arm at camp: wait
in my seat for the salute,
try to hear the fusillade
without breaking down.
I wonder if it will be
a sunny day at Arlington,
comrades’ armor glinting,
or dull, damp with spring rain?
I must sit, like this,
to receive the flag,
like this, as I lose sight,
and hold Rich’s hand –
he comes from a military
family and will understand.”

No comments:

Post a Comment